Kids’ Chance of Alaska is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides scholarships for children of workers that have been seriously injured or killed in a compensable work-related accident or occupational disease. Scholarships are awarded once a year and students may apply every year for which they are eligible. Current annual scholarship amounts range from $1,000 to $5,000 and are determined based on the student’s financial need.
- Between 16-22 years old at the time of the application.
- Child who is a dependent of a worker killed or seriously injured in a compensable work-related accident or occupational disease with an Alaska employer.
- Demonstrated financial need to pay for post-secondary education.
- Accepted or already enrolled at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or technical school. (Graduate-level students are not eligible.)
- Pursuing a degree as a full or part-time student.
- For students attending an accredited 2-year or 4-year college or university – Completion of the FAFSA – the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
In addition to a completed Kids’ Chance of Alaska Scholarship Application with student, family and university/college/technical school contact information, we will need:• Completed Kids’ Chance Scholarship Application with student, family and university/college/technical school contact information
- Transcript of most recent grades – unofficial transcript is acceptable
- Copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) you received from completing the FAFSA, with your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), IF you are attending a 2-year or 4-year college or university.
- Brief description of the applicant’s education and career goals
- Copy of deceased parent’s death certificate OR
- Proof of compensable injury/illness claim such as determination letter by the state workers’ compensation board
- Parents’ basic employer information such as name, address, phone
- Brief description of the injury, illness, or fatality
- Please complete the application to the best of your ability. You may need assistance to gather the necessary information.
- After initial review, the scholarship committee may contact eligible students to verify information or secure missing information. Please respond to our inquiries.
- The scholarship committee will determine the merit of each application and approve scholarships as funds allow.
- Kids’ Chance of Alaska will notify approved students of their award amount, verify enrollment, and upon completion of the process, will send payment directly to the post-secondary institution.
- In general, Kids’ Chance of Alaska scholarships may be used for any item included in the official Cost of Attendance, unless restricted by the state organization.
Application deadline is January 31, 2023 for Fall and Spring scholarship funds. All supporting deliverables must be uploaded via the “Upload Supporting Documents” tool to be considered.
Please contact us BEFORE the deadline by email at email@example.com or by phone at 907-929-9112.